- Carry additional copies of your passport (separate from the passport). Your passport needs to be valid for six months after your intended return to the US.
- Do not pack medicine, money or other valuables in your check-in suitcase. Always pack these items in your carry-on bag. All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Exceptions to this rule – baby formula, prescription and over the counter medications. Go to www.tsa.gov for more information.
- Make a copy of the credit cards you are taking along, keep this in a very secure place. It might be best to leave the copies with your emergency contact in the USA.
- Always check in for International flights at least 2 hours prior to your scheduled departure – from Africa it is strongly recommended to check in 3 hours before your scheduled departure.
- Always phone the Airline at least 48 hours ahead of your departure date to find out if any times or flight numbers have changed.
- Always check the baggage strips the airline put on your bags to ensure they show the correct city code, in other words, the city you are checking them too.
- Obtain foreign exchange currency when you arrive in Africa. Save the exchange receipt you receive in case you want to change any funds back to USD.
- DO NOT LEAVE LUGGAGE UNATTENDED ANYWHERE!
- You can rent a phone while in South Africa – you do this at the Airport in Johannesburg.
- DO NOT TRAVEL WITHOUT HEALTH INSURANCE.
- Always show your frequent flyer cards to the check in Agents. Keep your ticket receipts and boarding passes in case the Airline do not add them. Send in the original receipts and boarding passes with registered mail to the Airline if the miles to not track within two months after your return.
- The National Emergency number for South Africa is 10111.
- Store valuables in the hotel’s safety deposit box.
- Keep your room locked at all times.
- Avoid displaying expensive jewelry, cameras and other valuables.
- Do not carry around large sums of money or count cash in public.
- Steer clear of isolated, dark areas.
- Plan your route in advance if driving or walking.
- Keep car doors locked at all times and windows up.
- Lock valuable items in the trunk.
- Never give a lift to strangers.
- Do not stop on the side of the roads, highways or off and on ramps.
- Make a copy of the first two pages of your passport.
- Carry a cell phone.
· Ammunition must be for sporting purposes.
· Maximum weight of ammunition cannot exceed 5 kg (11 lbs) and must be packed in the original box. Ammunition should be transported in your suitcase and not in the same case as your firearms. Place ammunition in a lockable container.
Tip: Buy a pistol case with a lock, remove all the foam and use it to pack your ammo.
When you leave the USA place the case with your ammo in your suitcase or duffel bag.
As you continue your journey beyond Johannesburg, remove the container and check it separately to your ultimate destination if asked to do so by the check in Agent.
Rules can change at any time. The best approach is to call the airline involved prior to your trip.
Some airlines do not permit more than 2 guns per case. Check with the airlines involved or call our office for more information.
RIFLE PERMITS FOR SOUTH AFRICA, THE EASY WAY;
You can obtain your Rifle permit for South Africa free on arrival if you don't mind the wait. You will need copies of the following;
· Flight Itinerary,
· Passport (photo page),
· US Customs Form 4457,
· Invitation Letter from Hunting Outfitter.
· Fill out your SAPS 520 form, we do assist with this, call or email us for assistance.
Pre-approved Permits are recommended, as this service includes meet and greet assistance at the Airport. Call us for cost and more information on this.
DUTCH CONSENT APPROVAL FOR RIFLES IN TRANSIT THROUGH THE NETHERLANDS
· We will need a copy of your US Customs 4457 form
· Copy of your photo page in your passport
· Letter of invite from your Hunting Outfitter
· We will take care of the rest